Bypass cookie banners by toggling “reader view” in your browser
Nota bene: bypassing cookie banners does not mean ignoring financial contributions organizations need to exist.
Toggle reader view of your browser to dismiss cookie banners. On Firefox, the shortcut is
- Rejecting all cookies is tedious
- The reader view alternative takes 1 click to bypass the cookie banner
Sometimes cookie banners take almost half of the screen.
And disabling unwanted cookies needs two or three clicks, sometimes more — just to access one article.
Example on that website from the screenshot above:
Rejecting all cookies is tedious
- Click “Manage my cookies” (see previous screenshot), you land on “Privacy settings.”
- Click “Reject all” (once you’ve found it - it is hard to see sometimes.)
There is a quicker way to access the page you want without accepting cookies.
The reader view alternative takes 1 click to bypass cookie banners
You can toggle the reader view of your browser to bypass cookie banners.
- Toggle reader view by pressing keys
⌥⌘R(on Firefox), or click the button to the right in the navigation bar:
Done. You can read your article, or see your page. The page looks like this in the reader view:
Hey, I’m writing a book to explain how platforms and applications get away with what they promise they will do (and don’t do); and what impact your usage has on your well-being. You can sign up here to get an email when the book is out.